Williams Academy Black History Museum

Photo

Williams Academy

Map

Address:

1936 Henderson Ave.
Fort Myers, FL 33916

Region:

South

Phone:

239-332-2880

Website:

View Website

The first Williams Academy, built in 1913, was a two-story building located between Anderson Avenue and Lemon Street. It was the site of the first government-funded, black school in Fort Myers. When the second floor was destroyed by a fire, the building’s first floor was moved to the Dunbar campus between 1935 and 1937. In 1995 the building was moved to its current location. The “Living History Classroom” represents the 1940s era and other exhibits present the contributions of blacks to the development of the area.