San Marcos de Apalache Historic State Park

Photo

San Marcos de Apalache Historic State Park

Map

Address:

148 Old Fort Road St. Marks, FL
St. Marks, FL 32355

Region:

Northwest

Phone:

850.925.6216

Website:

View Website

Located at the confluence of the St. Marks and Wakulla Rivers, Native Americans used the site of Fort San Marcos de Apalache for thousands of years. The fort was built by the Spanish in 1600s to protect the Spanish missions in the area. The recorde history of this National Historic Landmark began in 1528 when Pánfilo de Narváez arrived in the area with 300 men. The Spanish built the fort in 1679 to protect the Spanish missions in the area. The fort had stood only three years when it was burned and looted by pirates. Not until 1718 did Captain José Primo de Ribera arrive to construct a second wooden fort. Construction began on the first stone fort in 1739. Progress was slow, and the fort was less than half finished when the Florida colony came under British rule in 1763.