Putnam Historic Museum

Photo

Antique Fair at the Putnam Historic Museum

Map

Address:

100 Madison Street
Palatka, FL 32178

Region:

Northeast

Phone:

904-325-9825

The Putnam County Historical Society is dedicated to preserving and interpreting the rich historical heritage of Palatka in Putnam County, Florida. Operated out of the historic Bronson-Mulholland House, which was constructed in 1854 by United States District Judge Isaac Bronson. After Bronson's death in 1855, his widow Sophronia Bronson remained at the house until the outbreak of the Civil War when she returned to her former home in New York. During the war, the vacant house was occupied by Confederate soldiers and, during the Federal occupations of Palatka, used as quarters by Union troops. After the war, in 1866, a Freedman’s School, supported by the New York branch of the Freedmen’s Union Commission for teaching freed slaves, was opened in the house by Charlotte J. Henry, a friend of Sophronia Bronson.