Government House

Photo

Government House

Map

Address:

48 King Street
St. Augustine, FL 32084

Region:

Northeast

Phone:

904.825.5079

Website:

View Website

On March 11, 1862, a small Union landing party under the command of Naval Commander C. R. P. Rogers proceeded to the Government House, the seat of local government constructed in the early 1700s. There, Commander Rogers informed the St. Augustine City Council of the terms of surrender for the city. After the Federal occupation of the city, the building was used as a military barracks, a hospital and a theater for Union troops. The building contains a museum with a Civil War exhibit containing period artifacts and historic photographs of St. Augustine.