Ponce De León Inlet Lighthouse

Photo

Ponce De Leon Inlet Lighthouse

Map

Address:

4931 South Peninsula Drive
Ponce Inlet, FL 32127

Region:

Central

Phone:

(386) - 761 - 1821

Website:

View Website

First lit on November 1, 1887, the Ponce de Leon Inlet Light Station features its 3 original keeper dwellings as well as its 175 foot lighthouse tower. The tower is open for climbing and the keeper dwellings house exhibits about the history of the light station and the US Lighthouse Service. There is a modern building devoted to the history of lighthouse illumination and a world-renown collection of classical Fresnel lighthouse lenses. During World War II, the lighthouse tower was used as a spotting station for enemy aircraft and off-shore vessels. The lighthouse continued to function as a navigational aid, and the Coast Guard installed a radio beacon, also used for marine navigation. The Light Station was a Coast Guard training center and barracks during the War. There is a permanent exhibit of artifacts and information concerning the Coast Guard and the Light Station in World War II.