The Old Cotton Club

Photo

The Old Cotton Club

Map

Address:

837 SE 7th Avenue
Gainesville, FL 32601

Region:

Northeast

Phone:

352-335-6784

Website:

View Website

Located in Gainesville’s Springhill neighborhood, the large wood-frame building was first constructed in 1940-41 as the Post Exchange at Camp Blanding in Starke, Florida. At the end of World War II, the Perryman family purchased the surplus building, moved it to Gainesville and converted it to a movie theater for African American patrons. It became The Cotton Club and was renamed “The Blue Note Club” in the 1950s. The building can be toured by appointment.