Plaza Fernandina / Old Town Fernandina

Photo

plaza san carlos

Map

Address:

Fernandina, FL
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034

Region:

Northeast

Phone:

904.277.7274

Website:

View Website

Old Town Fernandina was laid out by the Spanish in 1811, and was the last town in the Western Hemisphere to be platted by the Laws of the Indies, developed by the Spanish government to guide settlement and town planning in the Americas. The original grid, encompassing some 26 blocks, remains to this day, although somewhat effected by erosion of the Amelia River and the new route of 14th Street. Plaza Fernandina, now a state park, was included in the original plat and occupies a full block of green space overlooking the Amelia River. Two blocks are included in the historic Bosque Bello Cemetery. Modern street names are English translations of the names given by the Spanish. None of the Second Spanish Period buildings remain.