Old Island Hotel

Photo

Old Island Hotel

Map

Address:

373 2nd Street
Cedar Key, FL 32625

Region:

Northeast

Phone:

352.543.5111

Website:

View Website

This building was constructed just prior to the Civil War in c.1859-1860 as the Parsons and Hale General Store. During the Civil War, one of the store owners, Captain John Parsons who had large property holdings at Bayport, raised and commanded two independent Home Guard companies from Hernando County for the defense of the region against Union raids. By the time of the Union occupation of Cedar Key, both store owners, Parsons and Francis Hale, had fled the city and the building is believed to have been confiscated for use as a Union barracks and warehouse. The building is now operated as a bed and breakfast inn.