Suwannee River State Park

Photo

Suwannee River State Park

Map

Address:

20815 County Road 132
Live Oak, FL 32060

Region:

Northeast

Phone:

386.362.2746

Website:

View Website

In 1863, Confederate troops constructed earthenwork fortifications on a high bluff overlooking the junction where the Withlacoochee River joins the Suwannee River, a portion of which is preserved in this state park. These earthworks were constructed to protect the railroad bridge crossing the Suwannee River at the town of Columbus, a vital link in the cross-state transportation of troops and supplies. Destruction of this key bridge was one objective of the Union expedition into Florida in February 1864, which culminated in their defeat at the Battle of Olustee. The bridge was not threatened again for the duration of the war. The only extant remnant of the town of Columbus is the Columbus Cemetery which is also located within the park boundaries. The Confederate earthworks in the park can be viewed from a wooden walkway along the fortification. Interpretive signage provides information on historic sites within the park.