Kingsley Plantation, Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve

Photo

Tabby slave cabin at Kingsley Plantation

Map

Address:

11676 Palmetto, Avenue Jacksonville, FL
Jacksonville, FL 32226

Region:

Northeast

Phone:

904.251.3537

Website:

View Website

Fort George Island, the location of the Kingsley Plantation, was granted by the Spanish government to John McQueen in 1791. In 1798, he built a residence that stands today as the oldest plantation house in Florida. The plantation is named after the island's third occupant, Zephania Kingsley, who moved with his family and 60 slaves to the island in 1814. Spanish land grants, such as that given to McQueen, were common during the late 18th and early 19th centuries and demonstrate the cultural diversity of Second Spanish Florida. For more information on Spanish Land Grants, visit the Florida State Archives at http://www.floridamemory.com/Collections/SpanishLandGrants.