Fort Gadsden Historic Site

Photo

Earthworks at Fort Gadsden Historic Site

Map

Address:

Apalachicola National Forest
Eastpoint, FL 32335

Region:

Northwest

Phone:

850.643.2282

Website:

View Website

Built during the War of 1812 by the British, Fort Gadsden was placed in a strategic spot along the Apalachicola River, which was the highway for commerce in those pre-road, pre-railroad days. On July 27, 1816, U.S. Navy forces led by Colonel Duncan Clinch fired on what was then called The Negro Fort. One of the early shots from the ship's guns landed on a ammunition shed inside the fort, resulting in a massive explosion which left only 33 survivors to tell the taleIn 1818, Lt. James Gadsden oversaw construction of a new fort on the site as a U.S. fort in the heart of Spanish territory, under the auspices of Major General Andrew Jackson. This fort remained in use until 1821, when Florida became a U.S. Territory. Detailed interpretive information in the form of kiosks and signage lead you through the site of both forts and the cemetery where the victims from 1816 are buried.