Camp Milton Historic Preserve

Photo

Camp Milton Historic Preserve

Map

Address:

1175 Halsema Road South
Jacksonville, FL 32221

Region:

Northeast

Phone:

904.630.3516

Website:

View Website

Designed and constructed in early 1864 at the direction of Confederate General Pierre G. T. Beauregard after the Battle of Olustee, Camp Milton served as the eastern headquarters for Confederate forces in Florida. With the construction of three miles of earthen and wood breastworks along the west bank of McGirts Creek, Beauregard planned this bastion to prevent Union advances from Jacksonville to the west toward the Confederate supply center and railhead at Baldwin.

This camp, named for Florida’s Civil War Governor John Milton, housed as many as 6,000 Confederate infantry and 1,500 cavalry troops in early 1864, but many of them were soon transferred to other theaters of the war. Several skirmishes were fought in the vicinity of Camp Milton and, in June 1864, a Union force from Jacksonville of some 2,500 men temporarily occupied Camp Milton after the outnumbered Confederate troops had withdrawn. After destroying much of the camp, the Union force withdrew back to Jacksonville, and Camp Milton was again occupied by Confederate troops. Camp Milton has been described as “one of the most significant [preserved earthworks] sites associated with the Civil War in Florida.” Managed by the City of Jacksonville, the Camp Milton Historic Preserve provides educational programming through the site’s Learning Center, which displays Civil War artifacts found on and around Camp Milton. Numerous interpretive panels throughout the site explain its history. The Road to Olustee Living History Weekend is an annual event held at the site in advance of the annual February Olustee Battle Reenactment.