Cape San Blas Lighthouse

Photo

Cape San Blas Lighthouse

Map

Address:

155 Captain Fred's Place
Port St. Joe, FL 32456

Region:

Northwest

Phone:

850-229-1151

Website:

View Website

In 1847 Congress appropriated $8,000 for a lighthouse. Two years later a conical brick tower was completed. The signal from the 85-foot high structure could be seen for 10 miles offshore. During a storm in 1851, this structure was destroyed. By June 1885, after several hurdles, the 96-foot high, iron skeleton lighthouse that can be seen today was placed in service.  Around this time, two wood-frame dwellings for the keepers were constructed. To avert another disaster as the one that befell the tower in 1851, in 1919 the Bureau of Lighthouses moved the Cape San Blas lighthouse inland and the keepers' quarters to their present location.

Until 1952, the property was solely used as a site for the lighthouse. Then, following acquisition by the US Coast Guard, the lighthouse station was also used as a manned LORAN Station until 1972, when it was automated. On January 18, 1996, the Coast Guard deactivated the lighthouse as an active aid to navigation.

The renovated lighthouse keepers quarters are open to visitors and feature a museum with information about the lives of the lighthouse keepers and their families as well as a gift shop. Visit the Facebook page to keep up with recent developments and tour times: Cape San Blas Lighthouse and Keepers Quarters Museum